Providing free confidential, practical and emotional support and information to anyone affected by crime.

Image or photo depicting topic of page

Are you a witness and being threatened?

It’s illegal for anyone to threaten or intimidate a witness. Contact the police as soon as possible.


A separate page with Frequently Asked Questions relating to going to court is available at Witness Service FAQs.

If you have a specific question that has not been covered, please contact your local Victim Service office.

What exactly does Victim Support offer victims of crime?

Victim Support offers practical and emotional support, information about the Criminal Justice System and other agencies that may be able to help. This service can be provided by telephone, home visits, and office based appointments or appointments in community based settings i.e. libraries, community centres, cafes or other suitable venues.

Does Victim Support work for the police?

No. Victim Support Scotland is a completely independent organisation. If you report the crime to the police they may pass your details to Victim Support, unless you specifically tell them that you do not wish them to do so.

Are you a counselling service?

No. Victim Support's trained volunteers provide a listening ear and an opportunity to talk openly about your feelings.

I work all day. Can I see someone in the evening?

Yes. Victim Support volunteers can arrange a time that is convenient for you.

Is the service you provide confidential?

Yes. Victim Support provides a confidential service.

How much does your service cost?

Our services are free.

Are your volunteers paid?

No. Our trained volunteers provide their time free. They do, however, have certain expenses reimbursed.

Why do the police not give me information about the Criminal Justice System?

The police will help you with any queries that you may have about what happens when you have given your statement. They will then, with your consent, pass your details to Victim Support Scotland, whose trained volunteers will provide you with information about the Criminal Justice System.

Can I drop the charges?

No. Once the details of the crime have been passed to the Procurator Fiscal, it is then up to the Fiscal to decide whether it is in the public interest to proceed with the case or not.

Will the police support me through the whole of the case?

No. The police will take statements from all witnesses involved and pass them to the Procurator Fiscal. If you have agreed that the police can pass your details to Victim Support Scotland, we can provide you with practical advice, emotional support and information about the Criminal Justice System.

I haven't reported the incident to the police. Can you still help me?

Yes. Only about half of all crimes are reported. If you have not reported the crime, you can still receive the same service from Victim Support Scotland.

Do you need to know all the details of the incident?

No. Our volunteers are trained to listen to how you have been affected by the crime, both emotionally and practically. It is not necessary for them to know all the details of the incident.

What we can offer in relation to Anti-Social Behaviour for example noisy neighbours?

We provide free, confidential and independent support by telephone, home visits or office appointments – whatever suits you best.

We can advise on personal safety issues and crime prevention advice, such as arranging for fire safety visits, or crime prevention surveys. In some areas, we can also refer over to home security schemes that can provide further practical help.

We offer time to talk, supporting victims whilst they express and work through the emotions they are experiencing whilst being impartial and non-judgemental.

We can provide information about the role of other agencies and the procedures involved in addressing Anti-Social Behaviour.

We can liaise with other agencies on your behalf, such as housing officers, and Anti-Social Behaviour Investigation teams.

Further to this, we can provide information of other agencies such as counselling services if the person requires more specialist support.

We can also provide support at Court should the case progress to this stage.

Can Victim Support help me with my housing problem?

No. Victim Support Scotland has trained volunteers who will help you to access the relevant agencies that can help. Please contact your local office for further information, using the details on our Contact page.


Back to Top